As automakers are challenged to improve safety and fuel economy, Advanced High Strength Steels (AHSS) has allowed engineers to meet required standards for safety, efficiency, emissions, manufacturability, durability, and quality.
Advanced High Strength Steel Tube (AHSS) are complex and sophisticated materials, whose chemical composition and microstructures result from controlled heating and cooling processes. Various strengthening techniques are used to achieve a range of strength, ductility, toughness, and fatigue. They are lightweight and engineered to meet challenges of today’s automobiles for safety, emissions and performance at affordable costs.
Off Road Vehicles
2nd Gen High Strength
- All DP 600 to 1000
- All TRIP 600 to 700
- Aluminized Press Hardened Steels (e.g. ULTRALUME® PHS)
- Plus proprietary AK Steel grades such NITRONIC® 30
3rd Gen High Strength
- AK Steel Proprietary Grades:
- NEXMET® 1000
- NEXMET® 1200
What Differentiates AK Tube in AHSS Products:
- The ability to produce high yield strength AHSS products in very light walls (proven down to 1mm)
- The ability to produce AHSS products to VERY high D/t ratios
- Press Hardened Steels:
- AK Tube’s ability to produce aluminum coated products without aluminum contamination
- Ability to produce all AHSS grades in complex shapes.
- Ability to smoothly cut AHSS ID flash exceeding 50 Rc
- The ability to provide these benefits in an economic ERW environment